What a better way to celebrate Australia Day than with a classic brekkie with a twist: Avocado toast with pico de gallo salsa (fresh Mexican salsa).
This year, I decide to make this healthy breakfast recipe to start the Australia Day celebrations as a champion. You won’t believe how tasty and easy is to do it (no more than 15 minutes).
I completely fell in love with avocado toast since day one of my life here Down Under. This time I wanted to add a twist with the Mexican classic “pico de gallo salsa”, and it’s totally a winner!
For this recipe you will need a very good bread (think a loaf of sourdough), my personal favorite is from Sonoma bakery in my neighbourhood. If you know one close to where you live ask for the sliced Miche loaf, it comes in a $7.00 package, and you can always freeze your remaining bread for an impromptu breakfast.
For the pico de gallo salsa you will need tomatoes, some onion, fresh coriander, lime juice, salt and any green chili that you like. I use fresh jalapenos or bird eyes chilies because I love to make my salsa a little bit spicy with a good kick, but any kind of green chili works well.
Although this dish is usually served as breakfast, it is also very nice as a snack or light dinner. It’s very versatile.
Well, here it is the recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do.
Happy Straya Day!
- 2 slices of bread, preferably sourdough (bit toasted makes a great difference)
- 1 ripe smashed avocado drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt
- 1 cup pico de gallo salsa. Pico de gallo ingredients:
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno or any green chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
- To make the pico de gallo, just combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl. Adjust seasoning if required.
- Toast bread and spread some butter in the process.
- Add smashed avocado and topped with fresh Mexican pico de gallo salsa.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.