Watermelon price and quality continues to be so great in Australia, you can’t miss to make this super healthy, tasty and refreshing Watermelon & Basil Mexican agua fresca (fresh fruit Mexican drink).
This agua fresca is perfect for this time of the year (Spring in the Southern Hemisphere), and you only need 5 ingredients and 5 minutes preparation to have it on your table and be amazed by its unique exotic flavour.
At home, I use to make aguas frescas to accompany my meals and it’s a top priority for my parties and dinners I organized for my friends. It’s a tradition I carry from my family in Mexico, where people love to drink aguas frescas on a daily basis and special celebrations.
Contrary to soft drinks, aguas frescas are not just delicious but also very nutritious as you only use fresh seasonal ingredients to make them. What a great motivation to start incorporating these fruit based drinks in your weekly meal plans.
You’ll be so surprised of how simple, cheap and easy is to make them and the benefits they provide to your health.
6 good reasons to fall in love with aguas frescas
- They are 100% natural, free from preservatives or artificial flavours
- Nourish your skin and organs
- Help to relieve constipation as they are great source of natural fiber
- Keep you hydrated during the day
- Make you feel full and satisfied
- Contain lots of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients for your body
Fresh, sweet and aromatic taste
This Watermelon & Basil Mexican style agua fresca is amazingly tasty and refreshing. I could drink it every single day of my life. It has a beautiful, delicate combination of flavours and textures given from the freshness of the watermelon and the aromatic, slightly sweet taste from the basil.
Love at first sip!
To make this recipe you will need fresh watermelon and basil, spring water and lots of ice. Simple as that.
For this recipe I usually don’t add sugar but I leave it to you as an option.
If you like to learn more about the tradition of aguas frescas in Mexico click on this link.
Did you like this recipe? Leave a comment in the section below, we’ll love to hear from you. Also don’t forget to follow us in Instagram @chilisalt and to subscribe to the blog for more food stories and Mexican recipes.
Hasta la vista!
- 4 cups fresh watermelon, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 to 5 cups spring water
- 8-10 fresh, washed basil leaves
- Sugar (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Place watermelon and basil leaves into a blender with half of the water. Blend until smooth texture and watermelon is completely broken down including seeds and basil leaves.
- Pour watermelon mix into a jar and add the rest of the water. Stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Taste the mix and add some sugar or agave syrup if desired.
- Fill a glass with ice, pour the watermelon & basil Mexican agua fresca, garnish with a basil sprig, and serve. So delicious!!